Wednesday 14 January 2015

Spring is coming

I think I can definitely say winter as hint my
 'Prunus Padus Grandiflora' and the little Victorian Gardens that it is in..

I have noticed the past couple of times I have walked past the gardens how the place looks a bit run down and well used too... Sad thing I've noticed is some one as pulled down the wired fence...  I am not entitle sure what or how the Victorians would feel to see the place now... I guess heart broken! 
I decided to do some digging to find out more about the gardens...  So I dig out my Dorset books to do some research.... 

This is what I have discovered about the land that the gardens are situated on was owned by Sir Frederic Johnston (a Conservative party member).

Sir Frederic Johnston was also the same man that own Greenhill Gardens ( which I am working on a post about).. I believe Frederic also owned the Alexandra Gardens too... 

Back to the little gardens I learnt Sir Frederic Johnston gave the land to the local council for the gardens. He wanted local people who did not have a garden have a place to go...

The gardens was opened on Wednesday 20th July 1904 and was named Saint Johns Gardens.

The picture below is how the gardens looked once opened..





Which to me makes kind of sense... Has up and around the corner is Saint Johns Church. Across the road from the church was the school, also called Saint Johns... Now stands an block of flats where the school was...

Back to Saint Johns Gardens, the Prunus Padus Grandiflora has lost its leaves. But there is signs of Spring is on its way... 

There are buds!