Monday 26 March 2012

The New additions to the family/garden!

O' Christmas Tree


 Since I was a little girl I have always wanted to have a real tree at christmas. Maybe because all the chritmas movie's. You see families going out to buy the perfect Real tree.

But I never like the thought of the tree(s) being cut down. After all the tree(s) have been growing a year or more. No wait if I remember right from what I watched at christmas it takes  a (christmas) tree about 10 years to grow from seed until it is ready to be sold. 

Also the thought of after christmas having to throw it out I mean get it recycle. I noticed that my local council was offering a real Christmas tree collection service. But still I noticed tree's dumped on the side of the road.

A few year's ago it was and still is popular to have a tree in a pot. Maybe Chrismtmas tree in a pot as been about for years. But have only become more popular just recently.

About the last two years I have been planning and keep going on about getting a (christmas) tree in a pot for my garden. So the second week of December (2011) I went down to Groves in Briport to buy myself a tree.

I bought a Abies Nordmanniana or Nordman Fir the picture below is how it looks now.


The tree looks much better than it dose in this picture, honest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Gold


At the start of September (2011) I did my order at Suttons for Crocus Saffron Sativus and camomile. I got the Saffron for £2.95 for 30 bulbs instead of £9.95...  I first found out that you could grow Saffron in this country after James Wong visited a UK Saffron grower in his programme Grow Your Own Drugs or Backyard Medicine (as it is known as over seas).
I had to wait til the last week of September for my bulbs and camomile seeds to arrive.

So on the 4th Oct (2011) I planted the Saffron.  After a very long wait about three weeks green shoots started to appear.  I was hoping and praying that I would get an harvest.. But I kind of knew that I might not, Self nout I think!

I ended up never getting a single flower. :(  But I did have fun stopping one of my cat's from eating it. Mistaken the saffron as grass.  So out came the green canes and string.


I know this dose not look so great now.  But I do know that the green leaves of the Saffron dies back in April.  The Saffron bulbs go dormant until Autumn/Fall when life appearance's. 

Since the picture above I noticed the green leaves have started to go brown.  So I have removed the canes plus string and popped a seed tray on top.  So the cat's can not get to the leaves.